Five – Fruits & Vegetables
A diet rich in fruits and vegetables provides essential nutrients for children and adults that support growth, development, and immune function. Regular consumption of fruits and veggies is proven to lower rates of chronic diseases such as heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, and diabetes. A diet filled with fruits and vegetables also helps maintain a healthy weight.
Get Started Now!
- Start by making small changes.
- Fill half your plate with fruits and veggies at each meal.
- Encourage your family to serve and eat more fruits and vegetables each day.
- Be adventurous: Try new fruits and veggies, and encourage everyone to take a bite. You never know what you may like if you don’t try it first!
- Avoid frying fruits and vegetables and instead eat them raw, steamed, baked, roasted, or sautéed for optimal healthy results.
Eat A Rainbow!
- Add pizazz to your meals by eating a variety of colorful vegetables, including roots like sweet potato.
- Serve fruits and veggies with every meal and snack.
- Fruits and veggies can be fresh, frozen, or canned. Opt for low-sodium canned food and fruits canned in their own juice, not in sweetened syrup.
- Add hearty vegetables to recipes like spaghetti sauces and chili.
- Try chopping veggies into smaller bites to encourage young children to eat them.
- Create your own garden and get your kids involved!
- Try to eat at least one meal with your family each day.
- Turn the TV off while you eat and spend time talking with your family instead.
- Involve your kids in planning and preparing healthy food.
Snack Time! Try these…
- Apple or orange slices
- Apple sauce (homemade or store bought with no added sugar)
- Frozen grapes
- Fresh or frozen berries such as strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries (great for smoothies!)
- Raisins or other dried fruits with nuts
- Kid Favorite: Ants on a log – Celery sticks with peanut butter or almond butter topped with raisins or nuts
- Baby carrots, cucumber slices, or peppers with a low-fat dip
Click here for additional tips and info!